Tuesday, November 3, 2009

DVD Review: "Into the Wild" (2007)


Starring: Emile Hirsch, Marcia Gay Harden, Vince Vaughn, John Hurt, Kristen Stewart, Zach Galifianakis, Jena Malone

Written and Directed by: Sean Penn

Hello again faithful readers.  Usually I am ahead of the curve when it comes to feature films, but I will admit, I slept on "Into the Wild" when it was released a couple years ago.  Despite all the hoopla and praise it received, for one reason or another I just never got around to it.  Well, I finally saw it at the urging of my girl L and here's what I thought.

"Into the Wild" is a true story based upon the 1996 book of the same name by John Krakauer.  The tale focuses on the adventures of Christopher McCandless, a well-to-do college student who tires of the materialistic and high society ways of his parents and embarks on a cross country journey to find himself and a true purpose to his life.  It eventually takes him deep into the wilderness of Alaska where Chris finds out that maybe being with the ones you love and living a normal life isn't so bad after all.

First thing's first I want to say that the highlight of this movie is Emile Hirsch, who plays Christopher, aka "Alexander Supertramp", the name he gives himself early on in his travels.  I have been singing this dude's praises for his stellar acting chops for awhile now.  He was awesome in "Alpha Dog" and "Milk".  He has appeared in a few stinkers, like "Girl Next Door" and "Speed Racer" but this dude is a bright young actor who's got a lot of success ahead of him.  It's a shame people like Shia Labeouf and Channing Tatum get more mainstream films and success but that's life, true talent rarely gets rewards these days.  Hirsch really pulled out all the stops in a challenging role, showcasing a wide range of emotions and believability in a variety of situations.

I can relate to the overall theme of the story which is the need and desire to find yourself or perhaps a greater meaning to existence.  I feel people as a whole tend to resent their upbringings or situations in their life.  How often do you hear someone say, "I hope I never turn out like my mother/father"?  Children of privilege as well can either turn out one of two ways:  spoiled rotten or wanting more out of life.  Growing up, at least from the age of 11 or 12 till right after high school, I would say I lead a pretty charmed life due to my parents.  But I saw the way money made people act, the way it made people treat others and ultimately, the realization that money and status don't mean shit.  I grew to resent it and in a sense, embarked on an "Alexander Supertramp" odyssey of my own.  Except I didn't venture into the wilderness, I ventured to the depths of personal despair and self destruction but ultimately came to the same result:  the grass isn't always greener, and sometimes, life just is, there is no greater purpose to living.

Another highlight of this movie for me was the mesmerizing score and songs by Eddie Vedder.  The music in the scene when Christopher first discovers the "Magic Bus" (an abandoned bus that would serve as his shelter and eventually, his tomb) is haunting and surreal.  It gives you a feeling of wonderment and discovery but also a sense of impending doom.  The instrumental actually reminded me of the song "Jesus Christ" by Brand New...and I wonder if Jesse Lacey knows about this, haha.  

People say the ending is a bit sad, and I guess it's all in how you look at it.  To me, I felt it was necessary...well, mostly because it is a true story and that's what really happened.  It's probably the same fate that would befall most people if they attempted the same lifestyle that Christopher was shooting for.  But I think that in learning the valuable lesson before his death that Christopher came full circle and fulfilled what he was searching for all along.  

Honestly, this movie is highly deserving of all the praise and accolades it received.  I think it should be required viewing for anyone after graduating high school or college, or anyone who is unsure with what they want out of life.  It's a really eye-opening film that you can relate to on so many levels.  It certainly made me think about things in my past and even my present, and any movie that can move you and make you think has done it's job in my book.  "Into the Wild" is an awesome mix of visual, audio and emotional beauty that you must experience for yourself.

RATING:  4 OUT OF 4 STARS

1 comment:

  1. ahhhh perfectly written mike...you hit every topic that got to me as well...Hirsch is amazing, the movie is inspiring and makes you think of doing something greater with your life but than also flips to appreciating wat you have...im also glad u noticed how eddie vedders music completely complimented this move n i feel was made just for it lol...but i love ur blog!!! and im so glad u enjoyed it as much as i thought you would...u did leave out a coule good parts but im happy you did bc its good to leave something for the people to soon watch and appreciate....:) 5 out of 5 for the blog....

    ReplyDelete