Monday, October 5, 2009

I Thought I Told You That We Won't Stop: A Love Letter to The Music That I Grew Up With

What happened to hip-hop music?

I remember being in 8th grade, buying The Source every month.  I would look at the ads and get pumped up for the albums that were comin' out, debate who was the best and then get disappointed when certain albums never dropped (Charli Baltimore "Ice", Cormega "The Testament", Mysonne and Cardan being some I recall being psyched for that never saw the light of day).  I would go to the back of the magazine to see who got how many mics (the end-all, be-all rating for hip-hop albums at the time) and go back and forth with friends about it.  Check out the Unsigned Hype, the Hip-Hop Quotable to see who was the illest cat doing it at the time.

It wasn't just limited to magazines, though.  How bout going home, seeing Puff's newest big budget video debut on TRL or Rap City?  Maybe the first time I saw Beanie Sigel and Memphis Bleek kill it in the booth on Tha Bassment, the emergence of Cash Money Records, the rise of the Diplomats, Ma$e retiring then coming back, the list goes on and on.

I remember goin' to the barber shop once a week for a Caesar and checkin' out the latest mixtapes from my man Born before everyone had the internet and could just download everything.  I remember buying the new DJ Clue and Kay Slay every couple weeks.  I remember the first time I heard "Dip Set Anthem" on Clue, when Santana's first verse was still a remake of Biggie's from "Nigga's Bleed", before he had to change it...I remember the first time I heard "Wanksta" by 50 Cent, way before any of my friends.  Then before you knew it, everyone had it as their MIDI ringtone on their Nokia cellys.  I remember buying the original G-Unit mixtapes from the hip-hop store in Coral Square Mall and being blown away by Lloyd Banks destroying the "Victory" beat.

I remember when Shyne got locked up. I remember when "Special Delivery" and "Whoa" were the hottest songs out. I remember when NORE was the most thugged out rapper in NYC..."Melvin Flynt Da Hustla"!  I remember when Capone came home and they had "The Reunion". I remember the first time I heard "Grindin'" and how the beat and the Clipse overall style just blew me away. I remember throwing up the Dynasty hand sign every time I got the chance.  I remember tellin' everyone how McGruff was gonna blow up...but he never did.  I remember bumpin' Ras Kass, Ghostface "Ironman" and Raekwon "Only Builty for Cuban Linx" on my walkman everyday on the bus to school in 9th and 10th grade.  I remember The Firm.  I remember A+, Shaabam Sadeeq, Freddie Foxx, Half-a-Mil, Ali Vegas and every other unsung hero me and Steve would rep regardless.

I turn on the fuckin' radio now and hear retarded shit like Soulja Boy.  I hear every song have Auto-Tune.  I hear all these rappers wanting to sing.  I hear Drake.  And I get sad, because this is what the kids these days gotta grow up on.  I miss my hip-hop.  It's still there, but it just ain't the same anymore.

Can it be it was all so simple then?

No comments:

Post a Comment