Tuesday, January 5, 2010

This and That to Kick off 2010

It's been a little while since I have posted anything so I feel almost obligated even though I haven't got much to talk about.  The holidays came and went with a whimper, and already it's back to just slumming it along with my daily routine.  Got to see some family and friends and get a few days away from the workplace, but overall it was quite anti-climactic. 

Seeing as this blog mainly focuses on pop culture stuff, and I don't feel inspired enough to talk about one particular topic in great length at the moment, here's a quick rundown of some of the shit I have seen/listened to/enjoyed recently and my unadulterated thoughts on the subject:


Ke$ha, Animal:  After proclaiming her the next big thing in pop music over the summer, her song "Tik Tok" finally blew up over the past month or two.  Well, her full length album finally dropped today and after having a week or so to mull over it, I gotta say if you were expecting mindless dance pop mixed with some shitty white girl rapping, then Ke$ha delivers in spades.  Most of the tunes feature catchy hooks, despite the subject matter being the same throughout.  I gotta give Ke$ha credit for pretty much just sticking with what works and not trying to branch out and try anything that could be perceived as a stretch.  She knows her limitations, and sticks to them.  If Lady Gaga is too high concept for you and Fergie too mature, then Ke$ha will satisfy your needs perfectly.  Songs to download:  "Tik Tok", "Your Love is My Drug", "Blah Blah Blah" (featuring 30H3) and "Kiss N Tell". 


Sherlock Holmes-  Got a chance to check this out on New Year's Day with my buddies Gavin, Jared and Michelle.  Probably due to the ridiculously late night I had beforehand, the dim lights and comfy chair of the theater caused me to doze off for about ten minutes in the midst of this highly entertaining and engaging film.  Robert Downey Jr. knocks it out of the park as Holmes, bringing an eccentric and just below over-the-top version of Sherlock Holmes to the big screen.  Jude Law plays the straight man as Dr. Watson, but he shines as well.  The blatantly gay undertones to the Holmes-Watson partnership was a bit puzzling at times, and I'm not sure what they were going with.  I wish I hadn't fallen asleep as I missed out on a couple big clues, but the action/fight sequences were awesome, as were the sets and costumes.   The big reveal at the end sets up the inevitable sequel nicely, and I am looking forward to a well-rested second viewing of this movie.  Not quite as good as Avatar but definitely worth your time and effot.  RATING:  3 out 4.


Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel:  Cute/awesome title aside, this movie let me down BIG TIME.  I was a huge Chipmunk fan as a youngster.  I enjoyed the cartoon series and the animated movie where they had to travel the globe searching for the dolls.  I remember a particularly touching musical number involving a baby penguin as well.  Well, fast forward to a couple years ago when the first Alvin movie bum-rushed the movie going public.  I was not expecting much from it, but enjoyed the hell out of it on DVD so when they announced the sequel (or squeakquel) I decided I'd rep for the 'Munks and show up at the theater this time.  In the world's of Arnold Schwarzenegger, "Big..mistake."  This movie marks the "live action" debut of the Chipettes (Brittany, Eleanor and Jeanette), the female counterparts of the Chipmunks.  The movie centers around evil music exec Ian Hawke (a hilarious David Cross) trying to manipulate the Chipettes to bring about the demise of the Chipmunks.  If your IQ is over 5, you will probably be able to figure out how the movie ends.  Despite a severe lack of Jason Lee as Dave Seville, the movie has a few cool segments (the musical numbers are always good, and the Theodore "Dutch Oven" sequence made me laugh out loud).  The problem is the movie is about 84 minutes long, and rushes along at a breakneck pace, and overall I felt like they skimped in certain areas making the movie a pretty big letdown.  Maybe if I waited for DVD or downloaded it illegally I woulda enjoyed it more...but for $8, I expected so much more.  RATING:  2 out 4

No comments:

Post a Comment